Old June 11th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Cockpit ventilation

On Jun 10, 7:22*pm, chris wrote:
I was hoping to work on sealing the canopy frame, control connections
etc, as well as adding an air exhaust to increase the ventilation.
If I were to increase the ventilation in the cockpit and try various
options can you think of any easy ways to test and compare how
effective different options are?
Is there some easy way to measure airflow coming in [at a certain air
speed] on one flight versus a later flight?

Chris

Hi Chris.
I've made only one modifcation to my Speed Astir. It's a 'Mandl
Extractor' vent to let air out. Subjectively, I know I'm a lot cooler
in the cockpit. I haven't done this yet, but here's what I'm going to
do to verify my subjective observation. I have set up a water
manometer that indicates the difference between cabin pressure and the
static system. I'll fly with my Extractor in place, but with the
inside opening taped over. After noting the manometer at 2 or 3
airspeeds/alititudes, I'll climb back up and repeat, after ripping the
tape off the extractor. I don't expect spectacular numbers, but if it
just confirms a small drop in cabin pressure relative to the static
system, I'll continue to use it. If it indicates my 'subjective'
observations are wishful thinking, I'll... still use it because I
THINK it works (even if I'm wrong!)