Old July 20th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Anyone get hassled for exceeding max car and trailer length?

Duster wrote on 6/26/2017 1:35 AM:
Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60' combo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")? Nevertheless, some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60', 50' or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit for many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are you sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the forensic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the adjusters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your public boasting here in social media!

Motorhomes are far more stable towing a glider trailer than any SUV or car. Even a
small one like I have - 25' long, 13,500lbs - totally controls the situation, and
my 2500' lb, 34' glider trailer is unnoticeable behind it. Often, the motorhome
driver's first hint there is a big problem with the trailer is an excited motorist
driving alongside him, pointing wildly to the rear!

I've dealt with the situation by adding a tire pressure monitoring system to my
motorhome. It monitors the 6 tires on the motorhome and the 2 on the trailer.

My motorhome and trailer are 59' long, which is, I believe, legal in every state.