Old December 19th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

Default Married Couples and CRM (followon to Courious Crash)

"john smith" wrote in message
What I am trying to understand is, how a husband and wife, both pilots,
would not challenge their spouse's decision to press a situation which
might lead to an uncertain outcome?

(Taking this thread into a new direction)
Ron and Margie, Jay and Mary, and the Tcraft couple are the only married
couples who use this forum that I am aware of.
Maybe there is a new thread, do spouses that fly together use a challenge
and response type of CRM when they fly together?
What type of resolution do they use?
If either one or the other expresses a concern, do they land and sort it
out?
Does one or the other have overriding veto?

As much as I personally dislike agreeing with Mxsmanic, his post in the
thread is exactly right.

This having been said, if ATC was screaming at me to turn left immediately
to avoid a 747 that I could actually see 500 yards directly ahead of me on a
collision course at co altitude and my wife sitting next to me who is non
rated told me at the exact same instant to continue flying straight on, by
the time common sense and a deep primal fear (both associated with the
ramifications of increased yard work that would most certainly be the result
if I ignored my wife) passed through my thought process, we would have hit
the 747 and the point of the initial poster's question would then be moot.
Dudley Henriques