Old May 23rd 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

Default Pay out winch launch to 2500ft agl..

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Alistair Wright" wrote in message

That's nuthin'. Some time back in the 60s I had a 'payout' launch in an
Olympia 463 to 2800ft in a 40kt wind. I did a vertical circuit afterwards
as turning down wind didn't seem a good idea.

I guess nobody else wants to sound dumb, so I guess I will have to
ask; what the hell is a vertical circuit? I guess you mean no circuit at
all?

When you touched down, was your groundspeed more or less than zero?

Vaughn

After release I slowed down to 38kts and was blown slowly backwards over the
launch point. When I judged I was far enough back I descended at about 70Kts
and landed with full brake. I think the trip took about 7 minutes and I
never turned. I think flying downwind in a gale like that would have made
getting the pattern right impossible. I guess the upper air speed was in
excess of 60kts. The airfield I was flying from was small and surrounded by
housing (Meir -- Stoke on Trent) so getting it wrong would not have been too
good.

Alistair Wright