Old November 23rd 05, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Aircraft ID?

Maybe I need my eyes checked, but I don't see 73A anywhere on that aircraft.
I see 67641, comes back to US ARMY out of Ft. Rucker, AL.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I'd bet that the 73A markings are so someone (oil industry with rigs in

the
gulf, for instance) can identify their aircraft at long range - "Is that

one
of our helicopters landing on the oil rig?" The 73A may be part of an N
number, or may not have anything to do with the N number at all.

KB

"David Stiles" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I've taken a picture of a Bell JetRanger:

http://justsomeaircraftpics.4t.com/

I was curious to identify the owner. I wrote FAA and provided a picture
but
they were unable to identify it. They said:

"I researched all the aircraft that ever carried N73A and it appears

that
N73A was never assigned to a Bell Helicoter. If you are able provide a
serial number, I may be able to assist you further.

In answer to your second question: yes, all civilian aircraft must

display
registration number, whether it be a United States registration number
(which begins with "N") or a foreign registration mark (which may be a
combination of letters or numbers, depending on that country's
registration
system.)"

Should there be an "N" in front of the "73A"? Could there be a small

"N"
number on top of the "73A"? I'm baffled (my normal state of affairs)
:-).
What's the best way to identify ownership of this beast?