Old August 20th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Learning to spray paint

"mhorowit" wrote

A winner! I was worried about overspraying the neighborhood. I'll
GOOGLE for Revel+airbrush - Mike

The water trap suggestions should be taken as a "must."

I am not sure how it carries to using an airbrush, but I would imagine that
it does.

I use a HVLP conversion sprayer, which is High Volume Low Pressure and the
conversion means it takes relatively high compressor pressure, and regulates
it downward, to as low as 15 pounds per square inch. The higher pressures
atomize the paint better, but at the cost of more over spray. A decent 100
buck HVLP can also spray a very narrow pattern, and when used with low
pressure, almost no overspray.

For water control, I made a primary water trap myself, then used a
filter/desiccant to get the air really dry. You can get them at NAPA, and
they go inline right before the gun.

For my water trap, (follow along carefully, here g) I took the air from
the compressor, and went into a 1 1/4" T, with the air coming in the side.
On the bottom side of the T, there is a petcock (valve) to drain out water
once it accumulates. You can also leave it open a very small amount, and
water will dribble out. In the top of the T, there is a 6' tall 1 1/4"
steel pipe, and at the top a reducing coupler, which goes to a regulator,
and then to a quick connector to hook your air line into, going to your
sprayer.

The trap works better than commercial units for two reasons. One, is that
the small air line going into a large pipe will allow the air to cool, and
will cause the water vapor to condense out. Two, since the air is moving so
slowly, the water will run down the sides of the pipe, and can drain out the
bottom.
--
Jim in NC