Old December 21st 04, 06:46 PM

I don't fly much IFR at night, actually none within the last year. I
would fly some if I had good VFR under me, just for the practice.
But...when I did fly IFR at night, I had a flashlight that I put a red
cover over (autoparts store tape for repairing broken tailights) and
taped it to the overhead bar. That way if I lost electrical, I could
reach up there and turn it on. This along with a couple of other
flashlights. A sudden electrical failure at night would be very
difficult to manage, no autopilot, no lights and no radios, ALL
happening at once. One reason why I was never very enthusiastic about
night IFR. Most electrical failures give warning signs before going
full fatal, so you have that working in your favor. But it would be
very spooky to be in the clouds at night with no electric, very spooky.