Old July 8th 03, 04:22 PM
Ray Andraka

Depends where you are flying. If in the NE, I'd opt for the stormscope over the
A/P. Stormscope will give you peace of mind in the typical 3-4 nm visibility in
haze. A/P is handy for checking maps etc, but you can do that without an A/P
without compromising your mission availability. I put both in mine last fall
after flying 7 years without either. I use the stormscope far more than the
A/P.

Frode Berg wrote:

Hi!

I am hoping to commence IR training sometime this fall.

The plane I co-own is IFR ready, but has no autopilot or stormscope, no
de-ice (no options for it either I think, Arrow 180) and a Garmin 95 VFR
GPS.

What would be the most immediate need to safely fly IFR single pilot, single
engine?

The autopilot (would get a one-axis S-tec which easily upgrades to two axis
later), a Garmin 300 or 430 GPS, or a WX-900 stormscope.

All at once is not an option financially, since only one more pilot is IR
rated anyway.

Also, anyone with any experience with a WX-900 stormscope, what are your
opinions on this?

Thanks

Frode Berg

--