Old March 11th 04, 01:00 AM
Andreas Maurer

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:13:54 GMT, "mat Redsell"
wrote:

Common knowlege about Glider wing designs says that a high taper ratio will
lead to Wing tip stalls.

Does it?
According to my data stall depends on AoA, nothing else (at least as
long as the wing is not swept). The advantage of a forward-swept weing
is that its unstalled tip is not affected by the turbulence from a
staled inner wing.

Does the wing tip stall suddenly in some of the high performance ships that
may not have the amount of washout that the lower performing ships? What
gliders if any do stall a wing tip easily?

Never heard of this. The consequence of a tip stall would be a really
rapid snap roll, independent of CG - and I'm sure that any glider that
shows such a behaviour would become (in)famous immediately.

Bye
Andreas