Old March 2nd 21, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NM

Default Discus b lead ballast plates wanted

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 7:39:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am trying to locate 3 of the 2.2kg Schempp-Hirth Discus lead ballast plates. Rather unlikely someone is going to have the set and wanting to sell but I figured it's worth a shot.

I drilled automotive lead ballast to 10mm but underestimated the limited space up in the nose of the Discus. Turns out, I probably need to get the factory plates as the shape needs to be just right.

B40-3328: Trim weight kit ( 3 weights Ã* 2,2 kg): €246,76

If you post your email address I will send you the template for the shape of the weights. I made my own on my Discus CS using a template from a Discus B. I carved out a mold out of 3/4 thick plywood, lined the bottom and the sides with aluminum flashing, and poured molten lead made from lead shot into the mold. I repeated 3 times. Surfaces were not perfectly smooth, but good enough.