Old August 21st 04, 02:10 PM
Bob Moore

An Metet wrote

So, how would you deal with your first no-ASI landing?

It is a shame that your flight instructor did not do a
better job of instructing. All of my students fly one
complete lesson in the landing pattern with NO instruments
other than the tachometer. If you have not learned the
pitch and power relationship for your airplane in the climb,
cruise, and approach realms of flight, you have not been
trained properly as a pilot.

Downwind.....1900-2100 RPM, Visual level flight attitude,
who cares what the airspeed is?

Abeam Touchdown....1500 RPM, first flap setting, pitch down
to the well-known visual approach attitude,
who cares what the airspeed is?

Base Leg.....1500 RPM, second flap setting, maintain the
same visual approach pitch attitude,
who cares what the airspeed is?

Final Leg....1500 RPM until short final, final flap setting,
then throttle to idle for touchdown.

You need to get away from "Flight Sim" and do some "real"
flying.

BTW, my first real "no ASI" landing came in a Boeing 707, and
except for the power settings, it worked just as described
above.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI