Old August 22nd 04, 01:59 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Bob Moore posted:

An Metet wrote

So, how would you deal with your first no-ASI landing?

It is a shame that your flight instructor did not do a
better job of instructing. All of my students fly one
complete lesson in the landing pattern with NO instruments
other than the tachometer. If you have not learned the
pitch and power relationship for your airplane in the climb,
cruise, and approach realms of flight, you have not been
trained properly as a pilot.

I agree, and add that my instructor was a little more aggressive. I don't
think I saw the instrument panel all that often during my training (except
for the tach)! Needless to say, that training was very useful when I
experienced a vacuum pump failure early-on. Being able to fly by looking
out the window is a Good Thing to know.

Neil