Old August 22nd 04, 02:24 PM
XMnushaL8y

Paul Folbrecht wrote:
ASI did come alive to 35-40 knots, which is
why I didn't abort, but then stayed there and
then sagged after takeoff.

Similar with me, shortly after first airplane solo. ASI came alive slower than
usual and I noticed that (SHOULD have aborted then), I *knew* I was at rotation
before the ASI got there, took off and watched ... it went to 60 kts, then
dropped back to 40 and never moved again. Everything else was operating as
usual. Told the controller I was going to stay in the pattern for a full-stop
landing (had requested closed traffic) as I had an inop ASI. He asked me if I
was going to need any assistance on the runway ... I hope not! And yes, being a
glider pilot first helped as I was taught not to chase the airspeed but rather
to fly the pitch. The landing was no different than any other. I'd like to say
it didn't rattle me, but I'd be lying.