Old February 9th 04, 09:20 AM
Jack

On 2/8/04 5:18 AM, in article ,
"Mark Stevens" wrote:

And of course here in the UK we look with some amusement
at...the preventative affect on crime of a prison incarceration
rate about eight times the european average.

If we just had a distant land, peopled only by a few aboriginals, to which
we could send those misfits, I am sure it would be much more economical than
sheltering and feeding them here at our expense. Our surrounding moat is
also a bit narrow, in some places non-existent, and I'm sure that reflects
badly somehow on our judgment and character. Perhaps you Brits would be
willing to take on a few of tens of thousands of these excessively
incarcerated individuals. Surely, you can make peaceful productive citizens
of them simply by offering free medical care and an environment in which
their potential victims have almost no means of defending themselves.

If there were any imperfections or glaring anachronisms in UK culture, I'm
sure I would be not only unqualified to criticize them but also totally
uninterested, since I neither live, vote, nor pay taxes there. Your
expertise on matters social has been noted however, and I trust you won't
mind our calling on you to help us find our footing in the swamp of
inadequacy and despair in which we find ourselves.

When you have taken a goodly number of those unfortunates (whom we have so
obviously failed) and made them welcome as members of your glider syndicate,
perhaps you would be so kind as to report on your progress in teaching them
to spin Puchaz, and thereby draw this thread back on topic.

-----
Jack
-----