Old February 16th 21, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

On 2/15/2021 6:40 PM, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 4:29:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
This glider is said to be a 400 hour ship.
Again, in gel coat, and we all know what happens at some point.
Somewhat outdated panel.
A pure glider, no sustainer.
Fabric interior and not leather.
Clear canopy and not tinted.
I all honesty, what do you think the value of this ship?

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.

I have a 48 year old glider that has gelcoat and still looks nice. A nice creamy white and no crazing or cracks.
If one makes a requirement of only a painted glider there are very few to select from.
UH

It seems that a lot of old (35-45 years) gliders have had the gel coat
sanded and painted (10-20 years ago). How do they hold up after that?
Does it depend on the condition of the gelcoat before the painting? (If
it was in great condition, they wouldn't have painted it, eh?) How
should such a painted-over-gelcoat glider be treated to make that sort
of finish last?