Old December 7th 03, 06:42 PM
John Harper

Two hours seems a bit short to me. I think if I'd done it all with my
acro instructor, over a short time, it would probably have taken
around six. Just getting wheel landings down reliably is at least
a couple of hours. I certainly spent a lot of time flying round the
pattern doing stuff I was doing just fine (three-point landings,
which I was doing fine with after one hour), which is one reason
I got very frustrated with my first instructor.

John

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 6...
"John Harper" wrote

So it took me over 20 hours. A more reasonable time would
probably be about 10 hours.

Something is not reasonable here. For someone who knows how
to fly, two hours is more than enough. Just out of curiosity,
I looked back in my first civilian logbook, and sure enough,
there it was, my first tailwheel flights back in 1962 flying
an Aeronca Champ. Thirty minutes of dual (6 landings) followed
by a one hour solo flight in the pattern. Geeeze....back in
the '40s and early '50s, it was not uncommon to solo a brand
new student in a Cub or Champ in about 10 hours!

Something is REALLY wrong about this story.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI