Old April 19th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BillJ

Default Altimeter Question

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

WingFlaps wrote in news:cba00260-0bfd-4ac5-8b46-
:

On Apr 18, 3:04 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I wasnt aware you dont use the QNH term in the States. So what do

you

call the number you dial up to make the altimeter read airport
elevation?

They don't use any of the Q codes in the US. QNH is one of the few

still

in use around the rest of the world, the rest are pretty much

archaich.

How come the US doesn't adopt ICAO? I thought it had to -isn't that
what ICAO is all about?

They have Nukes and won't be told anything. AFAIK, they're the only
place left that uses in/hg, and the weather reporting format is also
unique. ATC phrasology is also peculiar to the US.
Actually, there are a lot of anomolies around the world. Eastern Europe
and Russia doggedly cling to using windspeed in Meters/second and have
reluctantly accepted using feet for altitude, though there are still a
lot of published platform altitudes of something like "2746 feet" The
Brits still have some oddball notions and can't understand why the rest
of the world doesn't want to do it their way and the middle east is
pretty much close your eyes and ask Allah for guidance. Semicircular
rules are different alsmot everywhere. Theyr'e qudrantal in the UK, in
fact. In Sweden it's N/S instead of E/W because that's the way most of
the traffic goes. Spain is the same.
Africa doesn't have any rules at al as far as I can tell, though it's
ostensibly ICAO
Haven't been to China yet, but it's gotta be interesting too.

Bertie

Florida is north/south also