Old April 19th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andy Hawkins

Default Altimeter Question

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
As I understand it that's the primary reason for a standardised word,
that it enables you to cut through all the other traffic and everyone
else knows to shut up.

And a PAN just doesn't in most of the world.

Ok. Well, that should be addressed in either removing PAN from the ICAO
specs or by ensuring that all controllers know about it.

Agree with all you say about the 'standard' format. In the case of a real
emergency I think all that'll be on my mind is a quick summary of the issue
so that someone is aware of it, and then I'll be concentrating on sorting it
(particularly if the big whirly thing in front of me isn't whirling any
more).

One of my instructors (a very experienced RAF pilot) actually advocated
making the mayday call and then switching the radio off in the case of an
engine failure, as otherwise the military unit we'd likely be talking to
would probably want all sorts of other information, and my attention could
best be spent dealing with the problem at hand.

Andy