Old January 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Michelle P

Sami,
You can install a Concorde www.concordebattery.com CB-25, CB-25XC, RG-25
or RG-25XC.
1) Four attempted starts depends on how long you were trying. Most
starters have a 30 second continuous limit.
using that that is 2 full minutes of cranking. That would just about be
the limit for battery capacity.
2) Has your aircraft had the original battery cable (Aluminum in most
models) with the Bogert Copper Cable kit? This improves starting speed
and longevity.
3) Find a more open minded A&P Concorde recently modified the battery
cases so they will fit in the Piper Battery Box.
4) Place your battery on a Charger for an hour a day. Low current. A
standard appliance timer works fine.
5) Use a battery heater.

Michelle (A&P)

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

I have a Gill G25 battery in my Piper Arrow III (PA28R-201T). I
recently had a situation where I ran out of juice after 4 attempted
starts. While I am sure that I can improve my starting technique (I
am a newbie for this particular plane), I would like to have a bit
more power in my battery, especially in very cold conditions such as
we have up here in central Wisconsin.

An A&P told me recently that I am "stuck" with my G25 battery. He
said that he tested it and that it was "fine."

Based on a recent article in "Aviation Consumer", I learned that the
G25 has only about 225 cold cranking amps. I noted that the G35S has
250 cold cranking amps.

(1) Is it true that I am stuck with a G25 battery and that NO OTHER
battery in the world can go in my plane? I find that a little hard to
believe.

(2) If there are other possibilities, can someone recommend one that
has better cold cranking amps that the G25?

Thanks in advance.

-Sami (N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow III owner)

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity