Old March 14th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 08:10:59 -0700, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm a young pilot aspiring regular 300-400km flights.
Currently I have done a few XC flights in an SZD 51-1 Junior at
100-200km already but I'm limited by club members who want to fly as
well.

What would you recommend me?

I have a similar history (first solo was my club's SZD Junior, then club
owned Pegase and Discus, then an ASW-20 and my current Std Libelle. Of
these I still like flying a Junior in winter, liked the Pegase more than
the Discii and prefer my Libelle to the ASW-20. The Libelle is a better
match with my flying style.

If you like flying the Junior, you'd probably also like the Libelle,
which goes like a Junior on steroids (cruises at up to 80 kts before
falling out of the shy compared with 60 kts for the Junior), both climb
equally well and the all-round view from the cockpit is much better than
the Junior. You sound as though sound as though you'd fit one too.
My notes about it may help you decide if a Libelle is for you:

https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/lib...201_notes.html

You might also consider an H.205 Club Libelle if you see one on offer.
There's one in my club: one of our instructors used to own it and thinks
it doesn't give much performance away to the H.201 Std Libelle. They are
a lot cheaper, too.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org