Old March 16th 18, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

Op vrijdag 16 maart 2018 02:22:04 UTC+1 schreef :
I'm a fairly slim and small pilot at 1m 70 tall and weight without parachute at 60kg. I have 70 solo hours, most of them in SZD 51-1 Junior and about 15 of those with both LS4 and Centrair Pegase.

Sean-
You say you have experience in the Pegase. I am surprised you are considering the LS1, ASW-19, Standard Cirrus, DG-100 or Libelle. I have owned two Pegase gliders over the last 18 years, and in my opinion (yeah, MY opinion!) the Pegase outperforms all of the above. I have done a 500+ km flight (DRY!) in under 4 hours (on an exceptional Moriarty day) and have over a hundred 500 km flights.

I bought my first Pegase with about 60 hours in my logbook and since then have added another 2,400 hours, almost all in the Pegase. (In the US, we just call it the Pegasus.)

There are plenty of good things to say about all of the gliders you mentioned, but the Peg shouldn't be disregarded. With a full load of water, it runs acceptably. Not on the order of a Discus, but it tends to be half the price and I love the handling.

If you want to see my Pegase, check out the "Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West" video.

I do have a few hours in the Pegase but they are slightly out of budget at about 5-10k more than I would like to spend.