Old June 5th 18, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Ruskin[_2_]

Default Average time to solo a student

Always helpful to have some real numbers...

I did an analysis of flights to solo across my club's membership over a period (sample size 155 first solos).

This is a primarily winch launch club. (I think as has been pointed out the number of flights will be less with pure aerotow).

The average was 63. But I don't think the average is very helpful in this discussion given the huge range that it covered - the std deviation was 38.

What was interesting, and contrary to the received wisdom, was that there was a much smaller correlation with age than might have been expected. There were a few outliers, some older people took a very large number of flights, but on the whole there wasn't a great age effect.

Paul