Old September 11th 05, 07:55 PM
Tim

Stan Gosnell wrote:

"Doug" wrote in news:1126227944.916583.168690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

If you rely on GPS in IMC you need TWO GPS's (or backup your location
with VOR/DME). And it is best if they are of different manufacturers. A
handheld to backup the panel mount is sufficient.

I don't agree. We regularly fly in IMC using one GPS, and it's approved
under Part 135. We do have 2 VORs installed, but they're worthless a
couple of hundred miles from the nearest transmitter. Before GPS, we flew
approaches using a single LORAN.

It's like vanilla and chocolate, a matter of personal preference and
comfort level.

In your situation you are a professional flying to familiar locations
again and again, so you have a lot of built-in situational awareness
that folks who go to unfamiliar places do not have.