Old September 21st 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Flying an air racer...

Jay Honeck wrote:

snip account of ludicrously fast airplane

I had a similar experience earlier this year, although in a slower
airplane, when a local guy took me for a ride in his RV-6A. Besides
being a snug fit for two 6-footers my biggest impression was how
sensitive the stick was to pitch inputs. That plane has to be flown
like a helicopter by resting your forearm on your leg and using your
wrist, otherwise you overcontrol the plane. Once I got the feel down
(flying with fingertip control) I was able to hold altitude within
100ft or so. Nice to cruise at 150kt while only burning 8gph. The plane
did feel a bit squirrely during a xwind landing, but that's probably
more due to my unfamiliarity with the type more than anything else.

I've seen one of those Swearingens at my home drome a few years back. I
recall the track of the main gear looked impossibly narrow.
Coincidentally I recently talked to a lady who lost her father-in-law
in an SX-300 some years ago. The NTSB determined the cause as pilot
error - while that seems to be the default response when they can't
find any other cause, I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to get bitten by
such a hotrod if you get behind the airplane.