Old February 6th 14, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (1DB)

Default Hypothetical Scenario #1 - Urgent Action required

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:01:32 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I've been thinking this would be a fun scenario to practice on a BFR, to give the student (who will surely appreciate it) practice at handling an emergency that really isn't an emergency.

When the student checks airbrakes on his/her downwind checklist (what downwind checklist? Ah, on the second flight then!), I grab the airbrakes and say "the airbrakes just stuck open." And shut up. Now the student's job is to quickly plan a full airbrake plus slip pattern. It's not a real emergency, because we can always close the airbrakes.

Has anyone tried this? UH, font of all wisdom on such things?

John Cochrane

I've done the "stuck open" and "stuck shut" landings for non-emergency "emergency" practice, but situations such as this fall in a bit different category and are excellent winter (or anytime) fodder for thought. Thanks. Would like to see more such. Visualizing one's actions under such conditions can help if such an actual in-flight condition occurs. I wonder if Condor can simulate such an event?
Eric Bick