Old February 6th 14, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Hypothetical Scenario #1 - Urgent Action required

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:01:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I've been thinking this would be a fun scenario to practice on a BFR, to give the student (who will surely appreciate it) practice at handling an emergency that really isn't an emergency. When the student checks airbrakes on his/her downwind checklist (what downwind checklist? Ah, on the second flight then!), I grab the airbrakes and say "the airbrakes just stuck open." And shut up. Now the student's job is to quickly plan a full airbrake plus slip pattern. It's not a real emergency, because we can always close the airbrakes. Has anyone tried this? UH, font of all wisdom on such things? John Cochrane

I think it is an excellent thing to do, John. As you say, you always have the ability to "undo" the issue should the pilot react poorly. But, it is a really good way to assure the person is thinking about how to get where they want, and not just flying a ground track.

Steve Leonard