Old July 13th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also..

I am assuming thoug that logs from the GPS-NAV would need to be submitted in .cai format. When I look at the flight in both igc and cai format in SeeYou I get a 'Flight integrity: Unknown?'. But when I check the cai file back in Aero Explored it says it is valid.

Thanks again.

IIRC, an IGC file from a Cambridge GPS-NAV is unsecure. You have to use the CAI file. Between that, the lower level of security provided by the original CAI loggers, the date issue, and the reliability problems, I remain to this day a little annoyed at the strong-arm tactics employed when GPS was "introduced" to SSA competition and we were all forced to buy CAI devices.

I love the way everyone thinks you should spend some more of your money to buy another device that does essentially the same thing as your GPS-NAV does. I stopped using mine two years ago not because scorers were refusing to accept CAI files (they were not) but because I bought a PowerFLARM (Portable, which works just fine!) and then, a year later, a ClearNav Vario, both of which produce log files.

I also love the way some think it's unethical for the FLARM folks to charge extra for an ENL or IGC license for their products. The way I see it, they can either spend the extra money to develop those functionalities and charge everyone for them, or just charge those who need/want them on an a la carte basis. You can debate whether the cost for a feature is reasonable but the business model makes sense to me. A big plus is that unlike many upgrades, you don't have to send it back to have the added functionality installed.

Chip Bearden