Old July 13th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 1:16:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
CAI loggers were not a forced requirement. Many pilots used Volksloggers in that era.

You are correct that CAI loggers specifically were not a forced requirement.. IIRC, the Omarama WGC was the first occasion of mass use of GPS flight recorders (from CAI) and that was 1995. I located a copy of the SSA Rules for 2000 and cameras were still allowed then. I finally bought my GPS-NAV in 2001 but I'm not sure whether it was because cameras were no longer allowed or if I judged the competition disadvantage of cameras had become too great.. I suspect GPS became mandatory that year or for 2002.

Regardless, I found a copy of a Volkslogger user manual online dated 2000 so it appears that logger was in use about the time I felt forced to buy a CAI flight recorder. I knew a few pilots who bought a Volkslogger but the general perception at the time was that if you were serious about contest flying in the U.S., CAI was the way to go. I doubt if either of us could prove/disprove the accuracy of "many pilots" used Volksloggers in "that era" as it would depend on the definitions of those terms.

Chip Bearden