Old July 13th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

Yeah, I forgot about ENL.Â* That's another thing my ClearNav products do
for no extra charge.Â* And I can use the igc files generated by them for
the Flarm range-checking software.

On 7/13/2018 8:45 AM, kinsell wrote:
Yeah I hate that pricing model, you pay for something, then pay again
if you actually want to use it.Â* I had to pay for both igc secure
logging and ENL to use with the motorglider.

PF does give you a non-secure file by default though, which can be
used with their range-checking software.Â* That's nice to show how much
better range the Core gives than a Portable :-)

-Dave

On 07/13/2018 08:39 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was very disappointed to see that I would have to pay a bounty to
get igc logging with my PF Portable.Â* Thankfully, both my ClearNav II
and ClearNav XC varios generate an igc file and it's much easier to
retrieve than from the PF.

On 7/13/2018 8:25 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 07:21 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log.
It looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the
GPS-NAV ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error
writing flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on
a different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine
with Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus
software with no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download
it via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for
badge purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it.Â* No requirement to use Cambridge
software. Â*Â*Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18
years in the past, invalidating the log.Â* Submit to OLC as an easy
check for IGC security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster.Â* M$ tried to upgrade
everyone to 10.Â* But using obsolete software and hardware with
modern OS's leads to lots of problems.Â* Update to something like an
LXNAV Nano, which acts like a USB memory device and lets you just
copy the file out easily. Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day
and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

If you happen to have PowerFlarm, then enabling the igc logging is
another good alternative.Â* This saved me when the RS-232 link from
my CAI 302 into my Tophat computer stopped working at a camp this year.

The GPS-NAV puts out a binary .cai file, which is secure but
proprietary.Â* Has to be converted to .igc with an external program.
Definitely time to move on.

-Dave

Any ideas on what to try other than finding a PC with an older
version of Windows? (Or upgrading my logger?)

--
Dan, 5J