View Single Post
Old July 14th 18, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 4:59:00 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
You mean it's all just included in the product? That ought to really
**** off Chip. 'Course lots of things seem to **** off Chip.

Not really; it's a short list. So...congratulations!

Seriously, I don't have to "like" the way a product is priced. I can complain. But basically we buyers vote with our wallets. I hadn't upgraded my panel in almost 25 years and needed to replace a couple of CAI GPS-NAVs flight recorders so I was willing to pay up for the XC version of the CNv vario, which got me the thermal assistant (extremely important), the IGC-approved logger (very important), and navigation functionality (never used it and would love to have had a delete option). With the PowerFLARM, I have my second flight recorder (also very important). If I were in the market for another instrument and the flight recorder cost extra, I'd have to think about it..

None of this stuff is "free". If the manufacturer incurs costs to add features, we're going to pay for it one way or the other. I'd just rather shift the cost to those for whom it's really important.

Now is a CNv Club version vario (i.e., no thermal assistant or flight recorder) a great deal? Not for me. But for someone on a budget, it might be, especially knowing they can buy a license in the future to add the cool stuff later. If ClearNav wants to "bundle" the license so it's cheaper to buy the XC version now than the Club version with an add-on XC license later, so be it. That's a pricing decision. No one is forced to buy anything. I'm amazed at the profusion of soaring equipment manufacturers who somehow eek out a living selling electronic devices into the tiny soaring marketplace.

I've gone the open source/freeware route with Top Hat for my flight computer so that's my protest against high-cost soaring equipment!

Chip Bearden