Old December 19th 05, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Wake vortices... a sterile danger?

Think of them as being like invisible ropes trailing from the
wingtips. They are small so your chance of hitting one is small. If
you do however, the probability of death from the upset at such low
altitude is very high.

They do trail like ropes so staying above the flight path(s) is basic.
There are accounts of them hitting the ground and bouncing back up
again which could ruin your day if you went through one just before
you flare.

--

Roger Long

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was at a place today from where I had a nice, clear view of the
Dubai
Airport runway all day long. For about 3 hours in the morning, and
another 2-hour period in the afternoon, a string of aircraft took
off
virtually tailing one another. Most of them were A330s, and the rest
were 747s and A340s, with the odd A320 and 737.

Makes me ask you folk this... are wake vortex caveats for real? How
do
you manage when in a queue of big jets?

Ramapriya
ayirpamarATgmailDOTcom