Old July 29th 03, 04:24 PM
Tony Williams

Greg Hennessy wrote in message . ..

If TPTB were actually serious about providing the harrier with cannon and
commonality of ammunition. A license built GSH-30 or 301 firing what the
Rarden fires would be rather hard to argue against.

An interesting idea, although I expect there would be problems. Apart
from the fact that the 30x170 Rarden ammo is bigger than the 30x165
Russian, the Russian ammo is also very strongly made, with thick steel
cases and the projectiles heavily crimped in, because it gets a
violent battering in the fast-firing guns. The Rarden cartridge was
specifically modified (from the Oerlikon KCB original) for use on the
gentle, slow-firing, long-recoil gun, with soft brass cases...I think
that retaining the 27mm Mauser would have been the best bet. I mean,
they must have loads of them lying around doing nothing, now that the
Tornado GR.4 has lost one.

Quite. It was interesting to watch an interview with a Tornado pilot where
he detailed having do gun passes in close support of friendlies during the
recent Iraq conflict.

Interesting - I hadn't heard about that. Do you have any details?

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/