Old November 4th 04, 05:56 AM
Peter R.

) wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

) wrote:

I am not a pilot and saw this chart for current flight
rules. What does MVFR stand for? Thanks.

Marginal VFR. The yellow caution light between IFR and VFR.

--
Peter

Thanks!

You're welcome, but on a second reading of your post I see that I may
have omitted a few points.

IFR and VFR are the two sets of flight rules that define both a pilot's
and air traffic controller's legal responsibilities in specific
visibility and ceiling conditions for specific airspaces.

However, the acronyms IFR, VFR, MVFR, and LIFR, also are used to
categorize the visibility and ceiling conditions at weather reporting
stations. In other words, these acronyms are a sort of shorthand to
quickly describe weather conditions.

MVFR conditions exist when visibility is three-to-five miles and/or the
ceiling is between 1,000 to 3,000 feet AGL.

Here is a good chart that breaks down these categories of weather
conditions you are likely to see on an aviation weather chart:

http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov...iption_ifr.php

--
Peter