Old April 8th 05, 01:39 PM
nimbusgb

Karl wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for an electric winch for hanging a standard class

glider
underneath a hangar roof. Does anybody know of such a product? I am
also interested in plans for such a winch based on off-the-shelf
components. Many thanks in advance!

Karl

A quality winch of the type fitted to a 4*4 is a good bet.

The drum will hold a good length of cable.
You can operate from a 12v battery kept charged by a solar panel.

If you have 220v then you get more for your money.

The setups I have seen used have a pair of slings under the cockpit and
tailboom with a speader beam between them. When the assembly is hoisted
into the roof the load is transfered to a fixed anchor and is not kept
on the winch. This way several ships can be hoisted / lowered with a
single winch.

You can also do it with a hand winch but its a lot of work!

See
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2070&g=110
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2070&g=110