Old January 17th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Average OLC flown distance by glider

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:32:44 AM UTC-5, Jacopo Romei wrote:
Hello everybody,

as a newbie, I often find myself wondering
- how far a specific glider can be pushed
- how far a specific glider can be pushed by *its* average pilot

The second point is very important because, as obvious as it may sound, no glider "gets there" alone and it surely must be matched by a pilot with related skills.

By the way, end-to-end, I thought that crunching & aggregating some yearly OLC data, I could find a relevant answer.

As of today, on gliderreview.com every glider is shown along with its average flight lenght in the previous year. That allows for anyone to get both information: how far is any glider usually flown and, most important, how far outside of my comfort zone any glider is.

Sure this is based on OLC-uploaded flights only, but still any statistics is based on sampling and OLC to me is a quite reliable and representative data population. In other words: crunching 14 thousands flights will be enough for me to get the idea. ;-)

Enjoy!

--
Jacopo

That put a smile on my face. I'd never have thought to do this.

Can you post as well the longest OLC flight for any given model? I think that would be even more entertaining.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
(ASW-20s rule :-))