Old May 15th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon Gatfield

Default Gliding International = Special May issue

I haven't received mine either Guy.

I'm keen to read the SGP article and work out why my trip to Chile cost a
mere fraction of the quoted $23,000. I obviously am more of a cheapskate
than that which my wife already accuses me of. Then again, I wondered why
some of the other guys were dressed in Gucci, showed up in Limousines, had
Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders for crew and were dining only on caviar and
champagne.

Jon

At 12:13 15 May 2018, wrote:
Has anyone received this? The digital version still shows latest edition
as=
March. My email to glidinginternational last week asking for an update
ha=
s been unanswered.

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 6:15:17 AM UTC+1,
off...@glidinginternational.=
com wrote:
Hi Enthusiasts
=20
Our May issue will go in the post this coming week, It is an extra

speci=
al one.
=20
=E2=80=A2 There is full coverage of the March I.G.C. meeting which

incr=
eased the number of World Championship classes to 10. (TEN). Like many
soa=
ring enthusiasts, we are expressing a view that the I.G.C. is an
ineffectu=
al grossly mis-managed organisation that has done nothing for club

gliding
=
over the past 15 or more years. (other than for competition pilots)
Somet=
hing has to be done about the vacuum this group has created. Maybe we
shou=
ld be campaigning for a new managing organisation that will help assist
wi=
th club problems. FAI, the parent over-body does very little for the
fee=
s they collect from every glider pilot everywhere. Why isn=E2=80=99t

the
=
movement more aggressive in demanding the support it needs? Because the
IG=
C delegates talk about nothing except competitions, competitions and
compet=
itions.
=20
=E2=80=A2 We tell readers that the cost for European competitors at

the
=
Grand Prix in Chile earlier this year was $US23,000 to enter and fly.
(Inc=
ludes accommodation, air fares, glider shipping). Our bet is that the
majo=
rity of the money for each competitor was canvassed from club pilots.
=20
=E2=80=A2 The magazine contains an article from Czechia where they are

t=
rying to assemble a group to support a Professor of Meteorology who

claims
=
he can fly a sailplane around the world unaided non-stop.
=20
=E2=80=A2 This year, the Hanle Libelle is 50 years old. Over 850

were=
made and some 550 are still flying. The history of this classic makes
ve=
ry interesting reading. And a =E2=80=9Dnewby=E2=80=9D has given new life
to=
this old darling. They have turned the first one into a self

launcher.
=20
=E2=80=A2 We publish the most outstanding wave photo you have ever

seen=
.. This one is worth framing.
=20
=E2=80=A2 Boeing is experiencing tremendous success with their two

blade=
d winglets. They are going to be a standard feature on all their new
produ=
ction passenger jets. A great opportunity for Gliding to take up the same
c=
hallenge. Improves performance by at least three percent above the

single
=
blade winglet. You=E2=80=99ve got to catch up on this one!
=20
=E2=80=A2 You are going to hear more about the Wolverene. This

$US50,00=
0 (guaranteed price) aircraft looks nothing like a sailplane. It is a
sing=
le seat power aircraft designed for the soaring enthusiast who wants (1)
t=
o avoid any hassle of club flying (2) own his own aircraft (3) soar
somet=
hing cheaper (4) and yet be completely independent and able to go soaring
a=
ny time you want to. It has a 23 ft wing, a glide ratio of 60:1 - its
mad=
e in America and really something to TRUMP about says the designer, Greg
C=
ole of Windward Performance, the man who made the Perlan sailplane.
=20
=E2=80=A2 We review the Antares and their latest product. Lange

Aviatio=
n presented a new concept at Aero 18 at Friedrichshafen in April. Gives
us=
something to think about. =20
=20
=E2=80=A2 =E2=80=9CDancing with the Wind=E2=80=9D: is without any

doubt
=
the best written book on soaring, and how to be a competent pilot.
Gliding=
International is offering the volume at half the retail price. (To
subscri=
bers only)
=20
=E2=80=A2 The next World Air Games are in Turkey (2020). Gliding will

b=
e staged at Inonu, the Turkish base for Gliding. It will be the greatest
v=
enture of your life to live in Inonu, so make sure you read about the
place=
in the May issue. Inonu is the location where German pilots trained

when
=
aviation was prohibited in Germany.
=20
=E2=80=A2 Four Germans decided to take a holiday =E2=80=93 a flying

holi=
day =E2=80=93 they took off in their gliders and landed where the skies
too=
k them. A fascinating story on a new approach to gliding fun and a

holiday.
=20
There are another 45 stories that will fascinate, educate, and inform.

B=
ut best of all is our May special.