Old May 17th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default technology for manufacturing less-expensive sailplanes?

Well, it does have the "technology for manufacturing" part. But I have yet to see any additive manufacturing solution for aircraft-sized parts that I couldn't beat with conventional molded parts.

Gliders are expensive not because they are particularly special but rather because low demand does not incentivize economies of scale.

If you want inexpensive gliders, the solution is simple: Make lots of them. With orders for 1000 units per year, I could easily produce 18m gliders at an MSRP of $16,000 each, say, $20k with trailer.

--Bob K.