Old July 15th 04, 07:06 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"James M. Knox" wrote:

(Steve Chalfin) wrote in
om:

Tim:

I keep my airplane (but unfortuantely don't live) at Kestrel Airpark
(1T7). Kestrel is probably a little closer to San Antonio than Austin,
but it wouldn't be too long of a drive.

I flew in to Kestrel a few weeks ago. Interesting runway and taxiway...

As for Austin, the original was Lakeway. It's grown up so much now that
the folks there often talk of wanting to close the airport. {:(

Back about 1981, I looked at moving to Austin and visited Lakeway. All
the real estate people were interested in talking about was tennis and
couldn't tell me very much about the airport. IIRC, there are no hangar
homes there -- just hangars. It is a pretty location, however.

I would not choose Lakeway for MY community.

Breakaway Airpark is just north of the city and nicely maintained. I don't
know what all is still available, but I believe at least a few lots are.
Near it, but on the other side of I-35, is Cross Country Estates. A lot
newer, I know they have lots available. Both of these are turf runways
without instrument approaches (I don't know about night lighting).

I visited Breakaway on the same trip -- they had put a lot of effort
into making a nice sod runway. It was a little remote, though.

I'm sure there are others, but they start getting further out of town.

jmk