Old July 8th 15, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Jet turbine reliability

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 6:31:42 AM UTC-4, Jim Pengelly wrote:
I'm considering ordering a JS1-C TJ with the jet turbine. A potential syndicate partner is concerned about the reliability of jet turbines from a 'will it start' point of view and a repair cost point of view. I imagine electric turbos are going to be more reliable because of the relative simplicity but you can't buy an electric JS1 or 29. Any comments on jet reliability?

everyone's complaining about "that engine not being so reliable", "i don't know if i'd trust that MODEL engine", "what if it doesn't start?", "but you have to dive to get it going" and i'm over here flying a pure glider like: ᕙ(⇀‿↼‶)ᕗ

we reallllly hate farmers apparently. a farmer gave me a sandwich and a beer once. dude was solid.

Remember that the drag penalty with an extracted jet is minimal. Also keep in mind that if you are going to step into any glider, that there is a chance you won't be landing it on a runway no matter what you've got. Lastly you shouldn't put yourself where you need the engine in order to not make junk. it's a convenience, not a silver bullet.