Old April 7th 04, 03:00 PM
C J Campbell

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
What percentage of you out there use a handheld gps and / or
transceiver when you are intructing or just flying alone?

What do you own?

I own an Icom A-22 and a Garmin 295. I rarely carry either one of these on
training flights.

Most of the time I am within 20 miles of the airport. I am hardly ever more
than five miles from any airport or emergency landing strip. I have used a
cellular phone several times to communicate with the office or to talk to
FSS.

The only time I would really want the GPS with me is when there is an
unexpected cloud cover over the practice area so that I cannot use pilotage
to stay clear of airspace. Even then I can navigate just fine with the
regular radios and I avoid practicing over a layer of clouds anyway. I want
to be able to see my emergency landing areas on the ground while my students
do their stalls and steep turns and such.

On long cross countries (more than 100 miles) I will carry the backups.