Old October 16th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Default Hold direct entry and speed in Skyhawk

Blanche wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Terence Wilson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:01:40 -0700, Mark Hansen

On 10/12/07 07:39, Terence Wilson wrote:
I use 90. I don't know of any reason you can't use 80 if you like, other
than perhaps going slower than the controllers are expecting, and messing
with their timings, etc.

I was using 100, but had a little trouble maintaining a co-ordinated
standard rate turn, 80 makes it a lot easier (and more fuel
efficient). Obviously I need more practice.

The slower speed means more crab to handle the wind also. I'd fly at
least 90 in a hold in a Hawk, but if you comfortable at 80 nothing wrong
with that.

The other advantage of going a bit slower (for the time being) is having
more time to pay attention to what's going on, not being rushed when
ATC calls, etc. On the other hand, if ATC states "keep your speed up",
then that's another matter entirely.

You fly holds generally by time not distance, so how does flying slower
make things happen slower? A one minute leg takes one minute no matter
how fast you are flying. :-)

Matt