Old May 31st 19, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Your First Land Out

Mine was also my first flight with a paying passenger. It was in a 2-33 on a day that had some, but not booming, lift and light wind. I drifted downwind (yes, in a 2-33) of the field slowly and saw a cu that I thought would extend the ride. It didn't work and I turned for home. The vario pegged down and stayed there. Even a moderate sink rate would have been enough but it wasn't to be. I probably could have made it for a straight-in but I was directly over a sod farm. I opted for the sure thing and landed on the smoothest field imaginable. The passenger wasn't upset and thought the whole thing was pretty cool. The tug came from the airport (less than a mile away) and all was well. I was embarrassed and an idiot for getting into the circumstance in the first place but was at least smart enough to not stretching the glide in the Blue Whale.