Old May 31st 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Your First Land Out

Hmmmmm......I was a teenager, likely less than 100hrs in any aircraft.
A Friday (IIRC.....look it up.....it made the local Middletown, NY paper...).....
Iffy day, found a weak thermal close to "home", did not understand the concept of "drift vs. glide angle" yet.
Yes, I was climbing.
Yes, drift was faster than than the meager climb.....I was drifting away from the field....SGS-1-26.... just signed off to fly it....sigh....(part of the angst of a CFI signing off a student....)
I landed in a ball field (sorta middle of apartment complex) within a mile of "home" when I finally figured out I was "in the poop".

No damage done.
A few years later, an "esteemed member of this forum and my home field" was with another in a 2-33..... they got stuck like I did.
PIC comment was sorta like, "Charlie landed here with no issues, so should we (length of trees from that place to sorta runway....)" yeah.......man more TV antennas grew up since my landing......making an "iffy" into a "challenging". Again, no hurt ship....a 2-33 is a worse retrieve than a 1-26.......
Yep, on my mothers BD....totally another story.....maybe worth another thread.

My "training" for off field landings?
Put it where you want it......every time.....even at home.
About this time, I started doing the HHSC Snowbird Thanksgiving weekend. The rules for that morphed over the years to promote off field landing practice.
Yes......I harp a lot on that.....always practice harder than likely reality....

In the US, I had a few off airport landings BEFORE the bronze badge existed.. I gained an early number.
Since some of our CFIG's had racing/XC experience, they pushed that knowledge.
When I became an instructor...I took the FAR's for a flight test that stated, "precision landing......a landing followed by stopping short of but within x feet of a predetermined mark" (200' for pvt/cml, 100' for CFI-g) to mean......you get a 200-100' landing zone.....period......
Why?
My interpretation of the reg is, "I could touch down at one end of a 5000' runway.......roll all the way to the other end, but stop short of but within x feet of a predetermined spot......and pass...."
Before I signed someone off for a flight test, they got a 200' or 100' marked "runway". Touchdown and stop in that length!

Sorta worthless based on my interpretation of the FAA regs.

BTW....my initial CFI–G check ride.....airport grass was long, passing showers (so grass was wet....) and I still managed to drop in a 2-33 in a 100' "wet grass runway" and stop more than once.

Outlandings can be a lot less dramatic when you can put any aircraft where you want it, when you want it.
Yes......crappy fields can ruin even the best off field landing situation......