Old November 24th 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]

Default Pilot certificate required?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 2:13:06 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:49:41 PM UTC-8, Jim wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 12:33:37 PM UTC-8, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
If it takes one crew member to fly, then that crew member is required.. Otherwise it will be an "optionally piloted" aircraft or a "remotely operated" aircraft.

Thank you Sierra Whiskey. Makes sense. I think my wish for direct and clear FARs is naive.

As an aside, it is also interesting that 61.31 appears to state that a pilot (certificated I suppose) only needs to be rated for a particular aircraft if the pilot is to fly another person or for compensation or hire in that aircraft.

You need to actually read what is written in the regulations. You are reading a clause that applies only in case of flight "Authorization in lieu of a type rating."

Well, I'm more confused than ever. 61.31 (b) is titled "Authorization in lieu of a type rating." It is 61.31 (c), titled "Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on the carriage of persons, or operating for compensation or hire." and it states:

" Unless a person holds a category, class, and type rating (if a class and type rating is required) that applies to the aircraft, that person may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying another person, or is operated for compensation or hire. That person also may not act as pilot in command of that aircraft for compensation or hire."

But this is followed by (d):

(d)Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must -

(1) Hold the appropriate category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown; or

(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor."

I am no longer going to try and understand the FARs.

On the other hand, maybe 61.31 (d) is the FAR that requires a person flying an aircraft to have a certificate - assuming a rating cannot be held by a person who does not have a certificate.

I'm done.