Old December 2nd 03, 03:45 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 2 Dec 2003 06:18:49 -0800, (Lee Shores)
wrote:

Although I'm not a Marine, I did spend last night in a Holiday Inn
Express, so I'll offer some answers.

How many Gs can a pilot withstand before blacking out?

Varies with training and pilot physical condition. Usually aircraft
structural limits are the standard--approximately 9 G on current
systems. Duration of the G load is probably the controlling issue for
going to sleep.

If an ejection seat failed, how would one get out of the plane?

Unstrap, jettison canopy, trim nose down and release stick.

What's the caliber of an M-16?

..223 or 5.56mm

Do all fighter pilots carry a sidearm?

Not in peacetime operations.

What's the order of rank for pilots?

Same as non-flyers. 2/lt, 1/lt, Capt, Major, Lt. Col, Col. (Navy is
Ensign, Lt/JG, Lt, Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain.

Thanks!!!!

Suppose after college someone wants to become a Marine Fighter Pilot:

How long would that take?

Approximately 2 years.

Where would the fighter pilot training take place? Anywhere in
Colorado?

No US military pilot training is done in Colorado. Marines and USN
train in Pensacola FL initially.

If they were shot down, what would a common rifle and sidearm be of
the Taliban?

AK-47.

At what altitude does a parachute automatically open?

A barometric sensor delays opening for automatic deployment until
below 14,500 feet MSL.

What's the equivalent horse power of a fighter jet?

BTSOM. Who cares?

Two any two-pilot or pilot/navigator planes take off from aircraft
carriers? If so, what planes?

F/A-18, F-14.

Suppose they opt to fly missions from Aircraft carriers. How long
would this take? (Basic training, flight school, etc.)

I assume you mean training. All USMC and USN aviators are carqual.
About two years.

What would they be commissioned as, if they went ROTC in college?

Same as the service academies--2/Lt.

What's the standard Marine sidearm? What's the preferred sidearm?
What do they train with? What's the pilot's standard sidearm?

Beretta 92--9mm. Preferred? I'd like a 1911 clone in .45. Pilots train
with the M-16 and 9mm. Some units get the Sig P-228, but most use the
Beretta.

What plane(s) would they be flying from an aircraft carrier for
bombing missions? What are the most advanced planes and what are the
preferred planes?

F/A-18.

How long is the landing deck on an aircraft carrier?

Just long enough.

What would the typical fighter jet be armed with for a bombing
mission?

Depends upon the target. Now, probably JDAMs.