Old August 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Abbott

Default Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Rocky Stevens writes:

I do not actually disagree with people on this NG any more than I do
with people on the AOPA forum (though being new to aviation, I do not
have many strong opinions yet). What I get from the moderated groups
is a much higher signal to noise ratio, as overly personal attacks are
avoided. I think that because people know they will be blocked if they
post some asinine attack, it forces them to put some actual content
into their posts.

A tremendous number of moderated discussion forums have long lists of
unofficially favored and disfavored members. The favored ones routinely
engage in personal attacks and other "violations" with impunity, whereas
the
disfavored ones are often accused of violations even when they haven't
committed any. There are _very_ few moderators who can stay cool,
distant,
and objective no matter what happens. Most intervene prematurely, too
invasively, and with extreme prejudice (the less experience they have, the
worse they are).

Bull****. Most moderator would be smart enough to throw you out at the first
or second attempt to troll.