Old March 19th 20, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Helium bubbles used to show bird aerodynamics

Martin Gregorie wrote on 2/25/2020 2:10 AM:
When I developed my 'Delta-G' series of F1A class competition free flight
gliders, I used a combination of Wil Schuemann's planform ideas, first
seen by glider pilots on the S-H Discus, combined with Hoerner wingtips,
also common on gliders from the first glass airframes until winglets took
over, and had decent competition results with this series of models.

I flew hand launch gliders in early60's. My best glider had a planform identical
to the original Discus. It was called the "Sweepette". The cover on this article
shows the 1960 version:

https://indoornewsandviews.files.wor...0/inav-113.pdf

I wonder if Wil Schumann was inspired by the Sweepette, or some earlier version of
that planform?