Old March 17th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Ballistic Parachute Deployment Cessna 182

Not sure of the exact number of deployments and I am not sure of any on
the 182 series aircraft.
Having said that, there have been deployments on other types of
aircraft and the ones that were "successful" and by that I mean the
chute didn't leave the aircraft because they were deployed at too high
of speed, all the aircraft have been totaled and scrapped for parts.
If your insurance company is good to go with that plan then at what
price do you place on your life and those of your passengers?
It's priceless if the thing works and is deployed properly the one and
only time you ever need it.
If you are short on range and or payload because of it's installation,
well, you just have to weigh the benefits and see if it works for you.

As far as the carriage of the pyrotechnics required to deploy the unit
being a hazard to your safety, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one.
We've been carrying flamable and potentially explosive materials on
these aircraft ( ever had a lead acid battery leak or start venting
into the cabin area?) and almost every transport category aircraft for
some many decades without a mishap that I don't think this even comes
into the equation regarding the purhase of the unit.
IMHO.

As for me, I wouldn't buy one but that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Lee Ellett
CFI-A&I AMEL
CGI - A&I
ATP - ASMEL
B727- B737 - DA-20, HS-125, G-159, G1159, G4, G5