Old June 5th 04, 06:03 PM
pacplyer

I didn't see this one, sorry my response is late Del. snip

Del Rawlins wrote
The point is, the controversy surrounding BWB has reached the point
where it isn't about building or flying anymore, and it certainly isn't
entertaining. I do NOT have a dog in this fight and really do not care
what happened between him and the others at P'ville. I've tried to keep
an open mind towards him because he really does have a lot to offer and
has contributed greatly to the discussion here at times. But I also
can't help but notice the pattern of alienation of people who he once
called friends. Even Ammeter, who stuck with Bill through thick and
thin on this group, has now been lumped in with the rest of the "low
time wannabes" for having finally decided that enough was enough.

snip

Del, in trying to figure out "what's reasonable" I try not to focus
on, what IMHO is a small dispute. If this thing was about someone
getting killed in an improperly built homebuilt that others could buy,
then I would agree with you: that individual should be ruthlessly
cross-examined and verbally expelled by the group. What I object to
here is the dishonest second identities that are created with the sole
objective of getting even with someone who is disliked. If
"Carburetor Bob" would come out and use one of the identities he has
always used and say: "foul language and social skills are more
important here than building time and flying experience," or "I feel
Bill's reached the point were I demand satisfaction" then I would
probably give it some weight and respect him for being a good
regulator of this unmoderated NG. BWB and Bob could go out to a
cornfield and dogfight to the death. But cheap shots don't cut it.

I realize this NG started out as a flying social. No reason that
shouldn't continue. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion, neither
you Del, or me pac have got the homebuilding experience credentials to
expel a guy like BWB. Now with my background as an A&P and a ME
instructor, if BWB started bragging in a serious manner that he was
making downwind takeoffs or takeoffs with one engine feathered out of
annual, then yes, it'd be up to me to try and run off a person like
that to prevent new pilots, who might read this board and
misunderstand and try the same thing. And yes, if somebody's trying
to hawk a real widow-maker he should be brought out for x-rays by
potential buyers like me. But if it's about who's acting like an
eccentric Howard Hughes, it's not relevant and I suggest you filter
him if you don't like it. Underhanded stabs in the back only make
free speech advocates like me view the BWB and Zoom witch hunts with
suspicion and contempt.

As always, all most posts are my opinions only,

pac