Old August 3rd 03, 03:14 PM
Jim Watt

snip

I came across this statement in the house in my travels;

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and
Commonwealth Affairs (Mr. Chris Mullin):

On 3 July, the United States designated six detainees, including
two British nationals held at Guantanamo Bay, as eligible for trial
under a military commission. We have strong reservations about the
military commission. We have raised, and will continue to raise them
energetically with the US. The Foreign Secretary spoke to the US
Secretary of State, Colin Powell, about that over the weekend and
will speak to him again in the next few days.

So far, neither of the detainees has been charged. However, we have
made it clear to the US that we expect the process to fulfil
internationally accepted standards of a fair trial. We will follow
the process carefully.

The US is aware of our fundamental opposition to the use of the
death penalty in all circumstances. If there is any suggestion that
the death penalty might be sought in these cases, we would raise the
strongest possible objections.

As regards the conditions in which all those prisoners are held, the
Prime Minister has, on a number of occasions, made it clear that he
regards the situation in Guantanamo Bay as unsatisfactory.

+++

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com